Deborah Giannessi is since 2015 Research Fellow at NINO. Her main research interests are the archaeology of proto-historic Western Asia, Chalcolithic societies, and early symbolism.
Giannessi was for many years attached to the Pisa Archaeological Mission to Tell Afis in Syria (directed by Prof. S. Mazzoni). She obtained an MA in History at Pisa in 1999, and completed her PhD in Pisa in 2005, with a thesis entitled “The Late Chalcolithic Period: Evidence from Western Syria and the Middle Euphrates”.
As an archaeologist she has wide experience from projects of excavation, survey, ceramic and museum studies in Italy, Syria, Oman, Denmark, and Iraq. She is currently preparing important collections of early ceramics from Syria (Tell Ahmar) and Iraq (Gird Bardastee) for publication.
Since settling in Leiden in 2009 she has taken a special interest in the collections held at NINO, and prepared a catalogue of the Böhl slides collection. She is currently in charge of reorganising the main Böhl Collection of cuneiform tablets and other ancient Near Eastern objects held at NINO.
- Il Bronzo Medio II, Bronzo Antico IVB e Tardo-Calcolitico. In: S. Mazzoni e S.M. Cecchini (eds.), 1995, Tell Afis (Siria) 1994 rapporto preliminare, EVO XVIII, Pisa: 255-257.
- Area E1: Late Chalcolithic, Early and Middle Bronze Age Levels. In: S. Mazzoni e S.M. Cecchini (eds.), 1998, Tell Afis (Syria) scavi sull’acropoli 1989-1992, 1989-1992 Excavations on the Acropolis, Pisa, ETS: 101-121.
- Area E: I livelli del Tardo Calcolitico, EVO XXII, 2000, Pisa, ETS: 10-12.
- Survey: i siti archeologici, EVO XXII, 2000, Pisa, ETS: 49-50.
- Area B: le fortificazioni del Bronzo Medio nella città bassa (M. Repiccioli, D. Giannessi, G. Aletta), EVO XXV, 2002, Pisa, ETS: 12-14.
- Tell Afis: the Late Chalcolithic Painted Ware, Levant 34, 2002: 83-97.
- La statuaria di Eshnunna, Geoarcheologia, 2002/1: 43-57.
- Ejnar Leo Fugmann (1896-1965). In: M. Maqdissi (ed.), Pionniers et protagonistes de l'archeologie syrienne. DGAM Damas 2008: 430-432.
- Tell Afis and the Northern Orontes Region in the post-Ubaid period. In: C. Marro (ed.), 2012, After the Ubaid. Interpreting changes from the Caucasus to Mesopotamia at the dawn of urban civilization (4500-3500 BC), Varia Anatolica XXVII, Istanbul/Paris, IFEA/De Boccard: 261-289.